Profile for Walt Meier
Cryospheric Sciences Laboratory
Code 615, NASA GSFC
Greenbelt, MD 20771
Office Phone: 301-614-6572
Sea ice remote sensing; changes in sea ice concentration, extent, motion, thickness and age; development of sea ice climate data records; interaction of sea ice and climate.
Walt Meier is a research scientist at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Cryospheric Sciences Laboratory. His research focuses on remote sensing of sea ice, development of new sea ice products and sea ice climate data records, and analyzing changes in the Arctic sea ice cover.
From 2003 to 2013, Walt was a research scientist at the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) at the University of Colorado in Boulder. Previously, he was an adjunct assistant professor in the Oceanography Department at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD (2001-2003) and a visiting scientist at the U.S. National Ice Center in Suitland, MD (1999-2001).
Walt received a B.S. degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in 1991, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Atmospheric and Oceanic Science at the University of Colorado, Boulder in 1992 and 1998 respectively.
- NSIDC Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis (NASA)
- NSIDC/NOAA Sea Ice Climate Data Record (NOAA)
- Lagrangian Approach to Emerging Dynamics of the Marginal Ice Zone (ONR)
- Tracking and Predicting Fine Scale Sea Ice Motion (ONR)
- SEARCH Sea Ice Outlook (ARCUS/NSF),
- JAXA GCOM-W1 AMSR2 Sea Ice (NOAA/NASA)
- Research Scientist, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Cryospheric Sciences Lab (2013-present)
- Research Scientist, National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), Cooperative Institute for Research in the Environmental Sciences (CIRES), University of Colorado Boulder (2003-2013)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, U.S. Naval Academy Oceanography Department (2001-2003)
- Visiting Scientist, U.S. National Ice Center (1999-2001)
- CIRES Outstanding Performance Award (2013)
- Vice-Chair, International Arctic Science Committee Cryosphere Working Group
- Member, WCRP Data Advisory Council
- Member, WCRP Climate and Cryosphere (CliC) Sea Ice Working Group
- Coordinating Lead Author, AMAP Snow, Water, Ice and Permafrost in the Arctic (SWIPA) Assessment Report
- Member, American Geophysical Union
- Member, JAXA GCOM-W1 AMSR2 Science Team
- National Focal Point, WMO Global Cryosphere Watch
- Beaufort Arctic Storms Experiment (BASE), Beaufort Sea, 1994
Peng, G., W.N. Meier, D.J. Scott, and M.H. Savoie. (2013). A long-term and reproducible passive microwave sea ice concentration data record for climate studies and monitoring Earth Syst. Science Data, 5, 311-318
Perovich, D., S. Gerland, S. Hendricks, W. Meier, M. Nicolaus, J. Richter-Menge, and M. Tschudi. (2013). Sea ice Arctic Report Card 2013
Wohlleben, T., A. Tivy, J. Stroeve, W. Meier, F. Fetterer, and J. WangR. Assel. (2013). Computing and Representing Sea Ice Trends: Toward a Community Consensus Eos Trans. AGU, 94(40), 352